Sunday, August 26, 2007

Third Project - Gurkha Rifleman

I've just finished my third project (a Gurkha Rifleman) and posted the results at www.actionmanhq.co.uk. Again, I've pasted my original explanation below. I hope it makes sense :) Photographs to come shortly...

"As promised, here is my third VAM custom project.

I apologise for posting details so soon on the heels of the Steiner project. It’s a long story, but I’m heading overseas for a number of weeks and I was keen to post details before I fly out.

As I have mentioned previously, I wanted my third project to focus on a fictitious ‘Military Series’ (as opposed to my first two projects that were ‘Cinema Series’). My intention for the ‘Military Series’ was to concentrate on military uniforms not covered in the original VAM line.

For my third project, I decided to customise/kit-bash a World War 2 Gurkha Rifleman (circa 1941/1942, possibly serving in Malaya or Singapore).

As with my first two projects, the retail packaging is hand-made, with minimal use of computers, etc. I did make a subtle change this time, with the inclusion of a photograph of the uniformed VAM figure on the rear of the box.

With regard to scratch-built items, the most interesting component was the design and construction of the kukri. I was determined to scratch-build my own and I am happy with how it turned out. The blade of the kukri is made from metal. I sharpened the blade edge, so it’s certainly not for kids. The hilt is made from Sculpey. To enhance the kukri blade, I adhered stickers that have a mirror finish to catch the reflection of the sun. Additionally, using a diamond-edged saw, I cut two notches at the base of the blade to represent the kaura. Depending on who you speak to, these notches have a number of applications – preventing blood from reaching the hilt, catching a combatant’s blade and snapping it or representing the Hindu Goddess Kali. Take your pick!

The kukri sheath is made from two pieces of cardboard, which I stitched together with thread to represent leather, etc. Essentially, I wanted the sheath to look like it had been well-used and perhaps constructed by the Rifleman whilst in the field to replace an original damaged one. I also constructed the karda and chakmak (the small knives on the front of the sheath). Both were made from metal and Sculpey. For those that aren’t aware, the karda is essentially a utility knife (think Swiss Army knife) and the chakmak is used to burnish the main blade of the kukri. My versions of the karda and chakmak are larger than they should be. For the purposes of VAM, I wanted them to be slightly larger and useable.

The Gurkha hat (which started life as a BBI Australian Slouch Hat) was also modified. To remove the ‘curl’, I reshaped the hat by soaking it in boiling water. It was then repainted and I also attached a custom chinstrap and insignia.

The socks are repro VAM in origin. To make the socks slightly more authentic, I also made a pair of customised garter flashes. You might be able to see them in some of the photos.

I decided against adding any further insignia, as I wanted to keep the figure relatively simple.

The rest of the uniform and accessories are either of Dragon or BBI manufacture. I went a bit overboard on the included weapons/equipment, but for a reason (see below).

As with my Sergeant Steiner project, I have included within the retail packaging a VAM Collector Star Booklet and a fictitious Collector’s Club application. To make the ‘Military Series’ slightly more distinctive, I also designed and incorporated a ‘Facts & Figures’ card to compliment the package. I envisaged that these cards could be collected by the ‘purchaser’ to make a larger reference set. A similar set of reference cards were actually produced back in the 1970’s and as I remember they were quite popular with kids (although they weren’t connected with VAM).

Whilst I have been working on this project, I have also been constructing a Gurkha diorama (hence the need for lots of weapons and equipment!). I will post photographs of the diorama in due course.

The ‘woodland-style’ photos posted below were taken on the side of the mountain where I live. The ‘jungle-style’ photos were taken in a remnant of rainforest about three minutes drive from my house.


Hope you enjoy!"

No comments: